Friday, October 23, 2009

R.I.P. Eames Chairs



I have owned these chairs for many years, 12 to be exact. I bought them for $100 from an architect I worked with at the time, who lived in Sty Town. My ex and I carried them home six blocks to Alphabet City, on our heads. They are one of the few things I took when we broke up. When I bought the pair the original 1978 orange leather was in perfect shape; but several cats, even more moves, and one baby boy later this is what they look like.
Realizing these were from another part of my life, one that I didn't need anymore, I finally put them up on Craigslist. A lovely young couple came to get them, and I watched them carry them down my stairwell, a chair on each person's head.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's kind of beautiful.
They'll do something fantastic with them, or just something as mundane as love them for the next decade or so...
and that's fantastic, too.